People come from far and wide..and with anticipation and much excitement they discover that New Orleans is a series of neighborhoods, blocks distinct, people even more distinct. One discovers oneself when you start to discover the city.
As such, as clients come to me I hope to give them the essence of what it feels like to discover the feeling of living like a native in a 2 hour drive by that turns into a life long passion of quintessential New Orleans living.
So here is my personal trail for discovering Uptown…a place I feel passionately about..whose residents love…from Oak treed streets to some of the worlds best restaurants…all within a 5 mile radius we call Uptown.
So here is your tour…follow it and you too can begin to understand how to see New Orleans like a native:
Here is the route that you want to grab the fastest way to best capture the essence of Uptown:
Starting in Uptown, St Charles and Louisiana…(to Mapquest or on GPS start 2000 block of St Charles)
1) Take Louisiana towards the river to Prytania, take a RIGHT on Prytania. (pretty houses)
2) Go down Prytania to Jefferson…take a RIGHT on Jefferson and go 5 BLOCKS to MAGAZINE (places to eat, etc.)
3) Take a RIGHT on MAGAZINE all the way to Napoleon AVE…you will know it is Napoleon cause there is a Police Station on the right. (pretty houses)
4) Turn RIGHT on Napoleon to FRERET Street…take a LEFT on Freret Street and drive all the way to BROADWAY. (places to eat, etc.)
5) Take a LEFT on BROADWAY towards river, (OMG!! UNdergrads!) then RIGHT on MAPLE. (neighborhood)
6) Go all the way down MAPLE (places to eat, etc.) until you get to CARROLTON and go RIGHT on CARROLTON. (places to eat, etc.)
7) Then go up CARROLTON until you get to OAK Street (places to eat, etc.) four blocks to JOILET…LEFT on JOILET, then 2 blocks to FRERET St
Go LEFT on FRERET St to CARROLTON…now turn RIGHT on CARROLTON and go 1 block to BURTHE Street.
9) Turn LEFT onto BURTHE Street and go to BROADWAY.
10) Take a RIGHT on BROADWAY and go till it ends on to LEAKE AVE..go LEFT on LEAKE that turns into MAGAZINE
11) Take MAGAZINE (past Audubon Park) all the way back to Jackson AVE. (places to eat, etc. etc. etc.)
12) Now take a LEFT on JACKSON, then a RIGHT on ST CHARLES.
13) This will get you pretty much back to your Starting point…or ending…depending where the roads now lead you.
Uptown New Orleans home